The Issaquah Special Education PTSA is a district wide organization and not linked to any individual school. We are advocacy focused. Students with disabilities and their families will find a welcoming community who “get it” and want to help make the school system work for ALL students.
Our Vision and Mission
Students with disabilities in the ISD will receive a high-quality education that enhances their well-being, meets their individual needs, and prepares them for the future.
Our mission is to build community, empower families, and advocate for students with disabilities in the Issaquah School District.
Whom do we serve?
We support ALL students with disabilities or suspected disabilities residing within the Issaquah School District boundaries, and their families. This includes public school students who receive support through an IEP, 504 plan, MTSS, LAP/Title 1, speech/language services, mental health programs, the juvenile justice system, early childhood programs, outside agencies, or the Academy for Community Transition, as well as students in the homeschool and private school communities.
Our board is made up of current and former parents and students of special education in the Issaquah School District. The 2022-2023 PTSA Board is:
- Co-Presidents: A'me Dunn and Kartik Mithal
- Co-Vice Presidents: Katelyn Shriber and Freya Thoreson
- Secretary: Sarah Brown
- Co-Treasurers: Kelly Minnaar and Sarah Porter
- Co-Membership Directors: Melinda Gage and Meg Sloan
- Student Representative: Nadiya Mithal
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to help.
Student Reps: We are seeking more student representatives; volunteers must be 18 years or older, and a current or former ISD student.
Membership Outreach: We are seeking volunteers to help with membership outreach during our first year.
- Board Meetings: Our board meetings are on the first Monday of the month via Zoom or in person. Issaquah Special Education PTSA members are invited to join this meeting. Please email us with questions.
- Membership Meetings: Four general membership meetings are held every year in October, January, and April. The meetings will be in-person. Our meetings begin with an informal meet-and-greet at 7 pm, and the business portion of the meeting begins promptly at 7:30 pm. This school year's meeting schedule is:
- October 3rd, Issaquah High School
- January 9th, Liberty High School
- April 24th, Skyline High School
- Parent Power Hour: We plan to host a monthly, informal, get-together for parents and caregivers. This will be a special time to meet new friends, seek advice and support, and connect with our PTSA. Everyone is welcome. Check back soon for the specific 2022-2023 dates.
In January 2022, the interim steering committee for the proposed Issaquah Special Education PTSA was formed, and our application for affiliation with the Washington State PTA was approved. Our charter membership meeting was held on March 28, 2022. We voted in a charter board and drafted the required formation documents. Thank you to our board and interim steering committee members for making this happen. We also want to thank our 77 charter members. We only needed 25 members to form and we are grateful for the outstanding support from the Issaquah community.